Aloo Kurma for Chapati
Aloo or potato is a very tasty and versatile vegetable that enhances the taste of any dish it is added to. Delicious dishes can be made by using only potatoes or combining it with other vegetables or even meat.
Sometimes we sit and wonder what side dish to make for chapati. It is always very interesting to try out new dishes. Here I am going to tell you how to make Aloo Kurma, which is a perfect side dish that goes well with chapatis.
I have given below the recipe to making Aloo Kurma in a very easy way with potatoes and traditional spices.
Aloo Kurma recipe
Potatoes: 3 (big)
- Onion : 1
- Green chilies : 4-5
- Garlic : 8 (small cloves) 6 (big cloves)
- Ginger : small piece
- Coriander powder : 1 tbsp
- Khus Khus : 1 tsp
- Pepper : ¼ tsp
- Fennel seeds/Sombu : 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – a small piece
- Cardamom – 2-3
- Cloves – 2-3
Tomato: 2 small ones
Curd – a small bowl
Grated coconut – 1 cup
Salt (as required)
Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp
Coriander leaves (little)
Onion: 1 (for frying)
Oil: 2 tbsp
Cut the potatoes into medium sized cubes
Slice the tomatoes
Slice lengthwise the onion for frying
Put the spices 1 – 7 in a blender and grind to powder form. Add the ingredients 1 – 4 to this powder and grind all-together to a fine paste.
Grind the coconut to a fine paste
Method to make Aloo Kurma
- Wash the potatoes and put it in a vessel with 2 cups of water. Add turmeric powder, salt and the ground ingredients.
- Close the lid and wait for the potatoes to cook. If you want to check to see if the potatoes are cooked, just insert a fork or knife.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, add the sliced tomatoes.
- Cook till the tomatoes are cooked and become mashy and the gravy thickens.
- Add the curd.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes till the curd mixes well with the curry. Make sure that the curd is well blended into the curry.
- Now add the ground coconut and boil for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from stove.
- Heat oil in a kaddai and fry the cut onions till it becomes brown in color and add to the kurma.
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve hot with chapatis.
This Aloo Kurma recipe is not only very easy to make, but is also less time consuming. Once the ingredients are ready and ground, then the maximum time to make the kurma will be only around 15 minutes. Now you don’t have to worry about a dish for eating with chapatis. Here is an easy and tasty dish that is a fantastic side dish that goes well with chapatis.
I hope you have enjoyed reading about how to make potato kurma and you must be eager to give it a try. Next time you are making chapatis, go ahead and make Aloo kurma and enjoy a tasty and delicious meal!!!