Making Cauliflower Kurma for Chapati
Do you want your children to intake plenty of nutrients? Well, you don’t have to spend money on tonics. Just include cauliflower on your regular diet and your children will all the nutrition required. I am not joking!!! Cauliflower is a good source of vitamin C and also contains vitamin B Complex as well as Vitamin K. It also contains calcium, potassium, iron, copper and manganese. Cauliflower can be used to make manjurian, curries, gravy, kurma, fry, sabzi etc. Below is a recipe for cauliflower kurma. It is a delicious dish, so it won’t it difficult to make your children eat.
Ingredients required for making cauliflower kurma:
- Cauliflower : 1 big
- Potato : 1
- Onion : 2 medium sized
- Tomatoes : 2 medium sized
- Turmeric powder
- Ginger : 1 inch piece
- Garlic : 5-6
- Green chillies : 4-5 (depending on how spicy you prefer)
- Cinnamon : 1 inch piece
- Cardamom : 2-3
- Cloves : 2
- Coriander seeds : 11/2 tbsp
- Pepper : 1 tsp
- Sanuf or fennel seeds : ½ tsp
- Poppy seeds : 1 tsp
- Grated coconut : 1 cup
- Cashew nuts : 8-10
- Oil : 2 tbsp
- Ghee : 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves ; chopped for garnishing
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. Put the florets in hot salted water for 15 minutes.
- Chop 1 onion and thinly slice the 2nd
- Peel and chop the potato.
- Chop the tomatoes.
- Chop the green chillies.
- Chop the ginger.
- Chop the garlic
- First dry grind cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, coriander seeds, pepper, fennel seeds and poppy seeds. Add the chopped onions, green chillies, garlic and ginger to this. Add some water and grind the ingredients to a fine paste. (1)
- Put the cashew nuts in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Grind the cashew nuts with the coconut to a fine paste. (2)
Method for making cauliflower kurma:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add half the sliced onion and saute till it turns pink.
- Add the cauliflower florets and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped potato
- Add the ground paste (1).
- Mix well.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Add salt
- Add 2 cups of water.
- Close the lid and let it boil on a low flame it the cauliflower florets and potatoes are half cooked.
- Then add the tomatoes.
- Close lid and boil till the vegetables are cooked.
- Add the ground paste (2)
- Blend well and leave to boil till the gravy thickens.
- Remove from fire.
- Fry the remaining sliced onions in a tsp of ghee till the onions turn dark brown. Add to the curry.
- Serve into a serving bowl.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve the hot kurma with chapati.
Many people prefer kurma with chapatis because chapati and Kurma is an amazingly delicious combination. Try it and enjoy!!!