How to Keep Chapati Soft for Long Time
Chapati, one of the most common foods in India, is eaten everyday in my house for dinner. My in-laws are diabetic and take only chapati at night and my husband and kids also prefer chapatis for dinner. I am a working woman but I need to leave for work only by 11am, but I come back very late. My in-laws are very particular regarding their eating timings and they have their dinner at sharp 8.30 pm, while I reach back home only by 10pm. So I made the chapatis in the morning itself before I leave for work. My neighbor was so surprised to see that the chapatis I made in the morning remained very soft till night, and asked me the how it was possible. I gave her a few tips which I am sharing here with you, so that you can also make chapatis and keep it soft for a long time.
Tips for keeping chapati soft for a long time
If the chapatis have to remain soft for a long time, the most important factor is that the chapatis should be made soft, and the trick for making soft chapatis lies in kneading the dough. The softer the dough, the softer the chapatis, and the softer the chapatis, the longer they remain soft. So let’s see how to make the dough soft. There are various ways to make soft chapatis to keep them soft for a long time.
- Knead the dough adding warm water to the flour.
- Knead the dough using warm milk to the flour.
- Knead the dough using yogurt to the flour.
- Use a small boiled potato. Mash the potato and to the flour and knead well.
- Use whey to knead the flour. Whey is the water that remains after making home-made paneer.
- Higher content of water in the dough can also make soft chapatis.
- If you are using water to knead the flour, make sure you use only hot water and not cold water.
- Adding oil/ghee when kneading the dough makes the chapati soft.
- Kneading the flour with 2 tsp of silken tofu, warm water and a tsp of oil also produces soft chapatis.
- When rolling the chapati, use minimum flour to dredge, or your chapati will become hard.
Another important factor is that they dough has to be knead for a long time if the dough has to become soft, at least for 15 minutes and then covered with a wet cloth and set aside for 30 minutes before making chapatis.
Well, now that you have learnt a few tricks to make soft chapatis, the next thing you need to know is how to keep chapati soft for a long time. As soon as you cook the chapati on a tawa, place it in an air-tight container, smear a bit of oil on it with the back of the spoon and close the container tightly. Repeat with all the chapatis and stack the chapati in the container, one on top of the other and place a paper towel to absorb any moisture. Now close the lid tightly.
Open the container in the evening and you can serve soft chapatis to your family members! It works!!! Try it……..Good Luck!!!