Storing Chapatis for 1 Week
Chapati making is a time-consuming process.
Combining the dough contents, kneading the dough, rolling and roasting chapatis is a long procedure.
Busy professionals do not have the time to make chapatis on a daily basis.
The solution lies in storing chapatis for short durations.
Chapatis can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 week.
Chapatis for 1 week can be prepared on a single day and then stored in the refrigerator.
However to store chapatis it is imperative that the chapatis are soft.
To prepare soft chapatis, lukewarm milk can be used in place of water to prepare the dough.
Knead the dough for 10-15 minutes and rest the dough by covering it in wet cloth for 20-30 minutes.
Thereafter, the chapatis can be rolled, roasted and preserved.
Care should also be taken to not add oil to the dough or chapatis when preserving in the refrigerator.
There are many ways to preserve chapatis in the refrigerator.
They can be stocked in cling film, aluminum foil and / or air tight containers.
When storing in cling film or aluminum foil, the packet can be kept in a plastic sealable bag such as the zip-loc bag or an air-tight container.
However they can also be stored in air-tight containers without wrapping them.
The cooked chapatis should be brought to room temperature before storing in the refrigerator.
Reheating the chapatis can be done quickly.
Storing Chapatis in Cling Film in the Refrigerator
- Take a few chapatis and sufficient cling film for wrapping the chapatis.
- Place the chapatis in the middle of the cling film leaving equal film on the ends.
- Now take either the left or right side of the cling film and bring to the center and fold.
- Then take the other side and fold at the center.
- The top and bottom ends can also be folded at the center.
- Squeeze out the trapped air in the wrapping.
- This helps the chapatis to be packed tightly in the cling film.
- Put the wrapped package in a sealable bag and preserve in the refrigerator.
- To reheat chapatis, the cling film wrapped chapatis can be removed from the refrigerator and the chapatis can be removed from the wrapping.
- Heat a tawa and roast the chapatis for few minutes while flipping the chapatis 2-3 times on the heated tawa.
Storing Chapatis in Aluminum Foil in the Refrigerator
- Chapatis can be preserved in the refrigerator in aluminum foil in the same manner as the cling film.
- Take adequate aluminum foil and a pile of chapatis.
- Lay the chapatis in the center of the aluminum foil.
- Fold the four sides at the center.
- Remove the air from the package.
- The foil-wrapped package can now be stored in a zip-lock bag or an air-tight container and kept in the refrigerator.
- To heat the chapatis, place the foil-covered chapatis in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees Farenheit for 15 minutes.
Storing Chapatis in Air-tight containers
- Chapatis can be stored in air-tight containers and kept fresh for a week in the refrigerator.
- Cool the chapatis after cooking them by laying them in a plate and cover with kitchen towels.
- Thereafter, place them in the air-tight container and do not fold the chapatis while doing so.
- Top with kitchen towel and then lid the container.
- Also do not crowd many chapatis in one container.
- However the chapatis can also be packed in cling film or aluminum foil and then stored in the air-tight containers and kept in the refrigerator.
- They will be fresh for 1 week by following this method.
- The chapatis can be made hot on a heated tawa on the gas or in the oven.