Wrapping Chapati in Foil
Chapati is the most common condiment with side dishes.
Chapati dishes also include palak chapati, methi chapati, etc
Various combinations can be tried while making the chapati dough.
Vegetables can also be added for filled chapati.
Chapatis are healthy and the addition of vegetables add to the nutritional value of the chapatis.
Whole wheat flour and methi leaves, coriander leaves or blanched palak / spinach leaves can be kneaded with the water for the dough.
Salt can also be mixed with the whole wheat flour and other ingredients and then the water can be poured in the uniform mixture to prepare the dough.
The different types of chapati dishes can be consumed with yogurt also.
It is advisable to prepare them in large quantities as they are required for all meals.
However many times chapatis are left over.
Hence it is advisable to store the chapatis and reheat them later in the day or the next 1-2 days.
Chapatis can be stored in aluminum foil for few hours / one week in the refrigerator / 1-3 months in the freezer.
They can be reheated while covered in foil in the oven / microwave oven.
Keeping Chapatis Warm in Foil for Some Hours
- Chapatis can be kept warm when wrapped in aluminum foil for few hours if required.
- Aluminum foil can also be layered on a casserole.
- The chapatis can be placed on the aluminum foil in the casserole and wrapped in the foil with the lid of the casserole.
- The chapatis can also be covered in foil and kept in the oven till serving time to consume hot with dishes.
- To avoid the chapatis becoming hard, the chapatis can be put in foil as soon as they are roasted and then stored in the casserole / oven.
Storing Aluminum-Wrapped Chapatis in the Refrigerator
- Chapatis can also be stored in the refrigerator when wrapped in foil.
- Allow the chapatis to cool to room temperature before wrapping in the foil.
- Stack a pile of 15 chapatis.
- Take a 20 inch aluminum sheet and place on a plate / counter.
- Place the chapatis in the center of the foil sheet leaving equal volume of foil on the sides.
- Bring the right side of foil over the stacked chapatis.
- Then from the left side, take the foil and get to the center and fold.
- The top and bottom of the foil paper can now be folded at the center.
- Release any trapped air in the package.
- Then lock the wrapped chapatis in a plastic bag having a zip / seal.
- They can be stored in aluminum foil for a week in the refrigerator.
Storing Aluminum-Wrapped Chapatis in the Freezer
- To preserve the chapatis for longer duration in aluminum foil, they can be placed in the freezer section of the refrigerator.
- Wax paper can be placed in between chapatis and then covered in foil and then packed in plastic bags having a seal.
- A pile of 6 chapatis with wax paper between single chapatis can be input and wrapped in foil and put in zip seal bags.
- Squeeze out the air bubbles and then seal the bag.
- They will remain fresh in the freezer for a period of 1-3 months.
Reheating Foil-wrapped Chapatis in the Oven
- To reheat the chapatis, the oven can be used.
- Chapatis can also be reheated or warmed while covered in foil in the oven.
- The aluminum wrapped chapatis can be placed in the oven for 6-7 minutes at 250 degrees Farenheit or 120 degrees Celsius to warm them.
- Alternatively, the oven can be pre-heated to 350 degrees Farenheit and the chapatis can be heated for 12-15 minutes in the oven.
Reheating Foil-wrapped Chapatis in the Microwave Oven
- The chapatis can also be made hot in the microwave.
- The foil covered chapatis can be put in the microwave on a microwavable plate for 20 seconds.