Savory Lauki Side Dish with Chapati
Lauki is also known as Bottle-gourd or Dudhi.
Lauki is bottle-shaped hence the name Bottle-gourd.
The Lauki sabzi is one of the most popular vegetables consumed in India.
The outer skin of the bottle-gourd vegetable is greenish. The inner flesh and seeds are white in color.
The Lauki vegetable has many medicinal benefits.
Also they can be prepared with the addition of lentils which make them more nutritious.
They are digested easily and are good for health.
An array of spices can be added to the dish to make it more flavorful.
- Lauki / Bottle-gourd ( medium ) : 1 Nos.
- Onion : 1 Nos.
- Tomato ( small ) : 1 Nos.
- Green chilly ( medium ) : 1 Nos.
- Cumin seeds : 1 Tsp
- Coriander powder : 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder : ½ Tsp
- Red chilly powder : ½ Tsp
- Hing : 1 pinch
- Cooking oil : 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice : as required
- Coriander leaves : for garnish
- Salt : to taste
- Knife the onion, tomato, green chilly and coriander leaves.
- Rinse the chopped ingredients with cold water and keep aside.
- Skin the lauki and chop into small pieces.
- Immerse the lauki pieces in water until required in the pan to avoid discoloration of the lauki. Before adding to the pressure cooker / pan, strain the excess water and then cook in the pressure cooker / pan.
- Take a pressure cooker and splash oil in the pressure cooker.
- Heat the oil on medium flame in the cooker on the gas.
- Fry the chopped onion in the cooker for some minutes and let them be browned.
- Then throw in the cumin seeds and let them splutter in the cooker.
- Also add the hing to the cooker.
- The spices powders including the coriander powder, red chilly powder and turmeric powder can now be spooned with the cooker contents.
- Then mix the cooker contents for 1-2 minutes.
- Now stir in the tomato pieces in the cooker.
- Cook the cooker contents for 5-7 minutes.
- Spoon the cooker contents at intervals.
- Allow the tomatoes to be crushed in the cooker.
- Also the cooker contents should be infused with each other.
- Bring in the diced lauki to the cooker.
- Add salt in the cooker.
- Pour ½ cup of water in the cooker.
- Toss the cooker contents for 1-2 minutes.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and place the cooker on high flame.
- The pressure cooker should reach maximum pressure.
- After 1-2 whistles, reduce the heat to medium flame.
- Steam the pan contents for 3-4 minutes.
- Thereafter, switch off the gas.
- Let the pressure contents cool off the gas.
- Then open the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Mix in the pressed green chillies in the cooker.
- Pour additional water in the cooker if required.
- Cook the cooker contents for some minutes on low heat.
- The gravy should thicken and be semi-dry.
- Pour the cooker contents in a serving dish.
- Mix the lemon juice with the cooker contents.
- Garnish with torn coriander leaves.
- The lauki sabzi is now ready.
- Chana dal can also be added when cooking the lauki. Soak the chana dal for 1 hour and then put in the cooker with the lauki.
- Ginger-garlic paste can also be poured in the pan with the diced onion for richer flavor. Fry the cooker / pan contents for few minutes thereafter.
- The lauki sabzi can also be cooked in the pan instead of the pressure cooker. When cooking in the pan, pour 1 cup of water and steam on low medium flame for 25-30 minutes or till the lauki softens.