Curry – Is a dish which is mostly prepared in Asian countries. A mix of spices in their whole or raw state are used, which is combined with desiccated coconut, yoghurt or stock to prepare a curry dish. A curry dish can be prepared with meat-chicken/fish/lamb or only with vegetables. Curries can be dry/thick based or liquid based. For a dry consistency you need to let the water/ liquid evaporate by cooking on high flame. And for a liquid base one needs to add more amount of water/stock or yoghurt to the dish.
Mushrooms- fall in the vegetable category. They are the most nutritional and high in fiber vegetable you can have. Besides that they are also provide with Vitamin D and potassium. Mushrooms are fat-free and low in calories too. This vegetable can be cooked in different styles and can be added to a meat dish as well. The mushrooms will enhance the flavor of the dish. Mushrooms are most commonly used on pizzas/pastas which are children’s favorite quick bites. Mushrooms are very easy and quick to cook as well. Besides adding them as toppings you can make a dish with it too.
Mushroom curry- this is a very quick and yummy curry which could be eaten with rice/bread or even chapati. In this recipe we add yoghurt to make the curry more liquid. But using yoghurt one needs to take care so that it doesn’t curdle. So the trick is either you lower the flame or switch off the gas while adding in the yoghurt. And stir the entire ingredient well and quickly. This is an Indian style recipe.
The recipe follows:-
We need to first prepare onion paste.
- Ingredients: – For Onion Paste
- 1 medium size Onion chopped
- ½ inch ginger chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup water
- In a pan fry all the ingredients till the onions turn pink and transparent.
- Let these ingredients cool down and then add all of them in a mixer and make a smooth onion paste.
Ingredients for Curry:-
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup yoghurt
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2-3 green cardamom
- 2 finely chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- For garnishing- Cilantro few springs finely chopped
- The mushrooms need to be blanched in before preparing the dish. For this, in a vessel bring to boil water with lemon juice and salt. Once the water has reached the boiling point add the sliced mushrooms. Switch off the flame and cover the vessel for about 5 minutes. Then drain the water and run the mushrooms under cold water. By running under cold water the cooking process immediately stops.
- Now in a pan heat the oil. Once the oil is hot throw in the whole spices- bay leaf, cardamom and cloves. Sauté them well.
- Then add the onion paste. And cook till it changes colour to brown.
- Add the ginger/garlic paste and green chilies. Cook the entire ingredient well.
- Once the paste is cooked add in your powders- garam masala and chili powder. Mix well and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Making sure the flame is on low or switch off the gas and add the beaten yoghurt. Stirring immediately all the ingredients to a creamy and smooth curry.
- Bring to a boil and then add the blanched mushrooms. Cook this for 5-8 minutes.
- You can add water according to the thickness you want in the curry.
- Finally garnish with cilantro.
Serve this dish hot and combine it with salad or pickle. Mushroom has its own flavor, whatever style you cook it, it will always taste delicious. Hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do!