Mutton gravy: this dish can be prepared in numerous ways. And in India it is cooked differently in almost every state. You can use as many spices you wish and make it the most spicy dish or probably just use simple onion, tomatoes and some powders and make a simple, easy and yet a yummy dish. My mother itself has a different recipe each time she makes mutton gravy. And every time without doubt it turns out delicious. She sometimes uses a coconut paste to make thick gravy or then with ginger garlic, onions, tomatoes and few powdered spices to make a curry.
Following is my mother’s favorite mutton recipe. With just few ingredients she makes this mouth watering mutton gravy dish. She normally serves it with jeera rice. This dish can be had with warm chapati too!
So here goes the recipe:-
- Ingredient :-
- Mutton : 500gm (either goat or lamb can be used.)
- Onions : 5-6 red small sized (cut into cubes) and 3 medium sized cut finely.
- Red chilies :10-12 (dry ones)
- Coriander seeds :2 ½ tablespoon
- Cumin seeds : 2 tablespoon
- White poppy seeds : ½ tablespoon
- Turmeric : ¼ teaspoon
- Water : 2 cups
- Salt : 1 ½ teaspoon ( adjust according to taste)
- Oil : 2 tablespoon and ½ teaspoon
- Firstly dice the meat to medium sized pieces and wash well. Add a little salt and keep aside.
- On the stove with a medium low flame keep a pan to sauté the ingredients. Pour ½ teaspoon oil and let it get hot.
- Once the oil is hot put in the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and red chilies to sauté. Let all these ingredients fry well till they let out their aroma.
- Then add the poppy seeds and sauté all these ingredients well.
- Once you see they sautéed well, switch off the gas and immediately move them to a plate to cool.
- Now place your pressure cooker on the stove and add 2 tablespoon oil. Once the oil is hot enough add in the finely cut onions. Mix and fry them well. For about 10 minutes sauté them till they give you a nice golden brown colour.
- Add then the mutton, 1 teaspoon salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix all these contents well and cook the mutton for 5-10 minutes.
- In the mean time if the roasted spices have come to the room temperature transfer them into a mixer with the chunks of red small sized onions. Blend these ingredients well till you get a smooth paste.
- Pour this paste to the mutton.
- Mix the paste and mutton well.
- Then add the water.
- Here you can taste and check if you require to add more salt.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook for 5 -7 whistles and later then reduce the heat to low flame. Cook for 10 – 15 minutes. And then switch off gas.
- Let the pressure escape gradually and then open the pressure cooker.
- Now check if the meat is cooked properly and is soft. Also check for consistency of the gravy. If it is thin then cook for few more minutes without the lid. Preferably the gravy should be thick.
- You can now serve the mutton gravy with chapati or rice. Enjoy it either ways!
- Cumin seeds sizzle quickly if needed you can first roast all the spices first then lastly add the cumin seeds. Cause if the cumin seeds are burnt they give a bitter taste to the dish.
- If you are a chicken lover instead of mutton you can add chicken. But reduce the cooking time in pressure cooker or best avoid the pressure cooker and use a sauce pan.
- Red small onions may not necessarily be available at all time you can use any regular onions instead.