Potato: The most versatile vegetable. You can make anything of it and add it to most of the dishes and you can never go wrong with it. They have a high content of carbohydrates. This vegetable gives you energy cause of the starch content too. Potato is mainly a part of a northern Indians diet. Children love potatoes especially chips, French fries or mashed potatoes. Besides these finger snacks, one can even make a vegetable dish or a gravy / curry of potatoes.
I would like to share with you a very quick and easy recipe of north Indian style potato gravy.
- Potatoes : 500 grams
- Oil : 1 tablespoon
- Salt : according to taste
- Water : 1 ½ – 2 cups
- Tomatoes : 150 grams chopped
- Ginger : ½ inch grated
- Turmeric powder : ½ teaspoon
- Chili powder : ¼ teaspoon
- Coriander powder : 1 teaspoon
- Dry methi leaves : 2 tablespoon
- Garam masala powder : ½ teaspoon
- For tempering :-
- Cumin seeds : 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida : a pinch
- For garnishing :-
- Coriander leaves :a hand full freshly chopped
- Firstly we need to boil the potatoes so it is quicker to cook them. Potatoes take time to cook. So it is always advisable to first boil them. Boil the potatoes with their skin till they are cooked. You would know this by piercing a knife.
- Once the potatoes are cooled, peel them and make pieces by breaking them. You don’t need to cut them uniformly. You can mash a few pieces and the rest make bite size pieces. By doing this you get a thicker gravy. Unless you prefer thin gravy you make small pieces of the potatoes.
- Place the pan on the gas stove and heat the oil first. We first do the tempering.
- Once the oil is hot add the cumin seeds and asafoetida. And let the cumin seeds crackle.
- Now add ginger and sauté these ingredients for a minute.
- Then add the tomatoes with the powdered spices. Mix well. Now add the salt and methi leaves.
- Keep sautéing all these ingredients till you see the oil leaving them.
- Potatoes should be added now. Keep stirring all these ingredients carefully.
- Now you need to add the water. According to your liking you can adjust the water. If you prefer thick gravy you can add less water. I prefer it thicker so it can be had with chapattis.
- Let it be on the gas till it comes to a boil. Lower the flame and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Now switch off the gas.
- Sprinkle the garam masala powder and garnish it with coriander leaves.
You can serve this north Indian potato gravy either with chapati, paratha or even puris, if you prefer a thick of the gravy. If you made thinner gravy you can serve it with jeera rice or just plain rice too.
- Before I start cooking I prefer to keep all my ingredients ready on the kitchen platform. So it becomes easier and faster to prepare my dish.
- For this dish you can even microwave the potatoes instead of boiling.
- You can add any curry powder apart from the above spices.
- My son likes French fries, so whenever there is a play date at home and if excess of French fries I use the left over to make this dish.