Simple Basic Sabzi for Chapati
Simple sabzi as a side dish with chapatis is basic fare cooked in households with fewer ingredients than most Indian preparations.
Onion and tomatoes are common in most Indian dishes.
However, the quantity of onion and tomatoes can be adjusted in accordance with personal preferences.
For the simple sabzi dish, tempering ingredients such as mustard seeds can be crackled in the pan.
Other seasoning ingredients such as urad dal and curry leaves can also be stirred in the pan.
Hing is mixed for added flavoring of the sabzi.
The onions should be sautéed in heated oil in a pan on the gas.
Then the tomatoes are softened in the pan.
Spice flavors including coriander powder and red chilly powder are sprayed on the pan contents.
Turmeric powder is added to give the sabzi a rich color.
For the seasoning, salt is sprinkled in the pan.
To adjust the seasoning, jaggery is also dissolved in the pan.
The basic sabzi dish goes the best with chapatis for a simple meal.
- Onion ( medium ) : 2 Nos.
- Tomato ( medium ) : 3 Nos.
- Green chilly : 2 Nos.
- Ginger : 2 Tsp
- Coriander powder : 1 Tsp
- Red chilly powder : 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder : ¼ Tsp
- Jaggery ( grated ) : 2 Tsp
- Hing : 1 pinch
- Salt : to taste
- Coriander leaves : 1 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds : ½ Tsp
- Urad dhal : ½ Tsp
- Curry leaves : 1 twig
- Oil : 2 Tsp
- Peel the skin of the ginger.
- Chop the onion, tomato, green chilly, coriander leaves and skinned ginger.
- Clean the washed vegetables with cold running water and place aside after drying the excess water.
- Allow the oil to become hot in a pan on the gas.
- Then add the mustard seeds to the pan.
- Sauté the pan contents for 1-2 minutes.
- The mustard seeds should splutter in the pan.
- Then the other tempering ingredients which are curry leaves and urad dal can be stirred in the pan.
- Now put the crushed ginger in the pan.
- The hing can also be thrown on the pan contents.
- Also drop the chopped green chillies in the pan.
- Stir fry the pan contents for some minutes.
- Toss the knifed onion in the pan and mix the pan contents for couple of minutes.
- The onion should be golden browned in the pan.
- Bring in the diced tomatoes to the pan and toss with the pan contents for few minutes.
- Sprinkle red chilly powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder on the pan contents.
- Pour ¼ cup of water in the pan.
- Cook the pan contents for 8-10 minutes with the lid of the pan.
- The pan contents should be put on low medium flame.
- Spoon the pan contents at intervals of few minutes.
- The tomatoes should melt in the pan and mix with the pan contents.
- Now spray salt on the pan contents to adjust the seasoning of the pan contents.
- Also mix in the grated jaggery in the pan and stir with the pan contents.
- The jaggery should dissolve in the pan.
- The pan can now be put on the counter and off the gas flame.
- Decant the pan contents in a serving dish from the pan.
- Top the dish with torn coriander leaves.
- Serve and enjoy the simple sabzi meal with warm chapatis.