Vegetables in Spicy Curry for Chapati
For vegetables in spicy gravy, the vegetables are stirred with ground paste and prepared powder, topped with the tempering and then served with chapatis.
- Mixed vegetables : 3 Cup
- Green peas : 1 Cup
- Onion ( medium ) : 2 Nos.
- Tomato ( large ) : 2 Nos.
- Red chilly ( dry ) : 2-3 Nos.
- Bay leaf : 2-3 Nos.
- Water : 3 Cup
- Ghee : 2 Tbsp
- Coriander leaves : for garnish
- Salt : to taste
- Onion : 1 Nos.
- Green chilly : 5-6 Nos.
- Ginger : 1 inch piece
- Shredded coconut : 6 Tbsp
- Turmeric powder : ½ Tsp
- Coriander leaves : 2 Cup
- Cumin seeds : 1 Tbsp
- Poppy seeds : 1 Tbsp
- Green cardamom : 2-3 Nos.
- Cinnamon stick : 1 inch piece
- Cloves : 5-6 Nos.
- Mixed vegetables can include carrots, potatoes and beans.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Shell the peas.
- Chop the carrots, beans, tomatoes, peeled potatoes, medium onions and coriander leaves into small pieces.
- Clean the diced ingredients with cold water and place aside.
- Also drain the excess water from the washed vegetables.
- Peel the ginger.
- Knife the onion, green chilly, coriander leaves and peeled ginger.
- Combine the grinding ingredients which are chopped onion, green chilly pieces, pressed ginger, turmeric powder, coriander leaves and shredded coconut in a bowl.
- Mix the bowl contents for few minutes for a uniform mixture.
- Then transfer the bowl contents to a grinder.
- Blend the mixture in the grinder with small quantity of water for a smooth paste.
- Set aside the ground paste after it is prepared.
- Pan roast the poppy seeds, cumin seeds, green cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon stick on medium gas flame and stir the pan contents continuously for some minutes.
- Let the pan contents release their aromas.
- Then bring the pan to the counter and switch off the gas flame.
- Allow the pan contents to cool.
- Then grind the mixture in a blender and prepare ground powder.
- Place aside the ground powder.
- Throw the shelled peas and chopped carrots, potatoes and beans in a pan.
- Add water to the pan.
- The water should be at the same level of the vegetables in the pan.
- Boil the pan contents for couple of minutes.
- Then lid the pan and steam the pan contents on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- The vegetables should become tender.
- Then drop the tomato pieces in the pan.
- Also put salt in the pan.
- Simmer the pan contents on low flame while tossing the pan contents frequently for 4-5 minutes.
- Then splash 3 cups of water in the pan.
- Bring the pan contents to boiling point.
- Empty the prepared smooth paste in the pan and spoon with the pan contents.
- Sprinkle the ground powder on the pan contents.
- Cook the pan contents on low heat for 2-3 minutes and stir the pan contents at intervals.
- Let the pan contents have the desired consistency then bring the pan on the counter.
- Turn off the gas flame.
- Take a serving bowl and splash the curry in the bowl from the pan.
- Cover the serving bowl and place aside until the tempering is ready.
- Now prepare the tempering.
- For the tempering, take a small pan and decant the ghee in the pan.
- Heat the ghee in the pan.
- Sauté the bay leaves and red chillies in the pan for few minutes.
- Fry the diced medium onions in the pan and allow then to be browned.
- Thereafter, top the serving bowl contents with the tempering.
- Lid the bowl and keep aside the bowl until serving.
- The vegetables in spicy curry side dish can be garnished with the torn coriander leaves.
- Serve with chapatis on the table.