Spiced Gravied Potato for Chapati
The spicy potato gravy side dish is prepared with parboiled potatoes being cooked in ground paste consisting of coconut and poppy seeds.
Seasoning ingredients and the spice powders are added for a dash of spice.
Onion, tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste are sautéed to enhance the taste of the dish.
The recipe is an easy and quick fare to prepare with selective ingredients.
Put on the table when hot and accompany with warm chapatis.
- Potato ( medium ) : 2 Nos.
- Onion ( medium ) : 1 Nos.
- Tomato ( medium ) : 2 Nos.
- Ginger-garlic paste : 5 Tsp
- Red chilly powder : 5 Tsp
- Coriander powder : ½ Tsp
- Kashmiri chilly powder : ¼ – ½ Tsp
- Turmeric powder : 1 pinch
- Salt : to taste
- Coriander leaves : 2 Tbsp
- Shredded coconut : ¼ Cup
- Poppy seeds : 2 Tsp
- Fennel seeds : ½ Tsp
- Cardamom : 3 Nos.
- Cloves : 3 Nos.
- Cinnamon stick : 1 inch piece
- Oil : 2-3 Tbsp
- Remove the skin of the potatoes.
- Chop the peeled potatoes into small pieces.
- Knife the onion, tomatoes and coriander leaves.
- Wash the diced ingredients with running water, dry extra water and set aside the vegetables.
- Pan roast the poppy seeds on the gas on medium flame for few minutes and stir constantly the pan contents. Then immerse the roasted poppy seeds in lukewarm water for 1-2 hours.
- Thereafter, combine the shredded coconut, roasted and soaked poppy seeds in a grinder.
- Blend the mixed ingredients in the blender for ground paste using some water.
- Make a smooth paste.
- The prepared paste can be kept on the counter till needed while cooking.
- Parboil the potato pieces in a pan with adequate water for some minutes.
- Then drain the excess water and set aside the parboiled potatoes.
- Take a wok and pour oil in the wok.
- Put the tempering ingredients which are cardamoms, cloves, fennel seeds and cinnamon in the wok.
- Allow the wok contents to crackle in the wok while mixing the wok contents at intervals.
- Now sauté the ginger-garlic paste in the wok for few minutes.
- Bring in the minced onion to the wok and fry for couple of minutes and allow the onion to become light brown.
- Put the tomato pieces in the wok and cook the wok contents for some minutes.
- The tomatoes should become mushy in the wok.
- Add the spice powders including the turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder and kashmiri chilly powder in the wok.
- Empty the prepared coconut-poppy seeds paste in the pan and cook in the wok for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the parboiled potatoes from the pan to the wok.
- Spoon the wok contents for some minutes and let the wok contents be mixed and the wok contents be coated with the spices.
- Splash sufficient water in the wok to cook the potatoes.
- Also throw salt on the wok contents to adjust the seasoning of the wok contents.
- The wok contents should be boiled on the gas.
- Cook the wok contents for few minutes.
- The oil should separate in the wok.
- Also the wok contents should reach the desired consistency.
- Thereafter, stir in the cleaned coriander leaves and mix with the wok contents.
- Decant the wok contents in a large bowl.
- The spicy potato gravy recipe can be relished hot with roti / chapati.