Tangy Spinach Gravy for Chapati
Spinach is a leafy vegetable which is green in color and should be added to the diet for health reasons.
Spinach gravy is a good source of spinach.
Spinach Gravy preparation involves stirring spinach leaves with onion paste and tomato puree.
Onion is blended with ginger and garlic and ground with small quantity of water for a paste.
Cumin seeds are tempered in the pan for the seasoning of the gravy.
The onion paste is then fried in the pan.
The spinach leaves are then spiced in the pan with the coriander powder and garam masala.
Tomato puree is also emptied in the pan and cooked with the spiced spinach to give the tangy taste to the gravy.
The gravy is then thickened on medium flame while spooning regularly.
Cream is then added to enhance the thickness of the gravy and for added flavoring.
The prepared spinach gravy having a tangy flavor can now be consumed with rotis / chapatis.
- Spinach : 250 g
- Tomato ( small ) : 2 Nos.
- Cumin seeds : 1 Tsp
- Coriander powder : 1 Tsp
- Garam masala : 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder : 2 pinches
- Cream : 2 Tbsp
- Oil / ghee : 2 Tbsp
- Onion ( medium ) : 1 Nos.
- Garlic pods : 2-3 Nos.
- Ginger : 1 small piece
- Tear the spinach leaves, rinse with cold water and set aside after the excess water is drained.
- Whip the cream and keep in a bowl with the lid on the counter.
- Boil the tomato in 1 cup of water in a pan on the gas. Then grind the boiled tomato after it has cooled in a grinder. Prepare the tomato puree and keep aside until needed in the pan.
- Peel the skin of the ginger and garlic pods.
- Knife the onion and skinned garlic pods and ginger finely.
- Clean the ingredients with water and then dry the excess water from the vegetables.
- Now combine the cleaned vegetables including the diced onion, chopped ginger and garlic pieces in a blender.
- Grind the mixture in the blender adding some water and make a ground paste with the mixture.
- The ground paste can be set aside.
- In a pan, pour oil and heat on the gas.
- Drop the cumin seeds in the pan.
- Fry the pan contents for few minutes and allow the cumin seeds to crackle in the hot oil in the pan while stirring the pan contents.
- Empty the ground paste in the pan and sauté the pan contents for 5-7 minutes and let the ground paste be cooked in the pan.
- Stir in the torn spinach leaves in the pan.
- Also sprinkle turmeric powder on the pan contents and mix the pan contents.
- Cook the pan contents for 5-7 minutes.
- Spoon the pan contents every couple of minutes.
- Decant the tomato puree in the pan.
- Then throw the coriander powder and garam masala on the pan contents.
- Toss the pan contents for some minutes and let the spice flavors be absorbed by the spinach leaves.
- Steam the pan contents for 15-20 minutes on medium flame.
- The spinach should be cooked and the gravy of the dish should become thick.
- Mix the pan contents at intervals.
- Thereafter, splatter the whipped cream in the pan.
- Then mix the cream with the pan contents.
- Bring the dish to the counter and switch off the gas flame.
- Put the spinach gravy in a serving bowl and set on the table with rotis / chapatis.