Thick Sweet Corn Gravy for Chapati
Cooked and spiced sweet corn can be spooned with milk for thick sweet corn gravy.
The sweet corn should be boiled in a pressure cooker to cook them properly and at a faster rate.
The boiled corn is then sautéed with ground paste consisting of onion, ginger and garlic.
The ground paste in also mixed with curry leaves and cumin seeds.
Turmeric powder and red chilly powder is also added to the ground paste.
Water in small quantities is also added to the pan to prepare the gravy.
Then the pan contents are boiled and the pan is got off the gas.
Bubbled and cooled milk is added to the gravy and tossed with the pan contents for few minutes.
This delicious thick sweet corn gravy is best relished hot.
The dish can be accompanied with warm chapatis for a yummy appetizing meal.
- Sweet corn : ½ Cup
- Cumin seeds : ½ Tsp
- Red chilly powder : 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder : ¼ Tsp
- Curry leaves : 1 twig
- Milk : ½ Cup
- Oil : 1 Tbsp
- Onion ( big ) : 1 Nos.
- Garlic pods : 2 Nos.
- Ginger : 2 inch piece
- Knife the sweet corn into 1 inch log pieces.
- Wash the sweet corn pieces 1-2 times with water and set aside.
- Chop the onion finely.
- Skin and mince the garlic pods and ginger piece.
- Clean the chopped ingredients with water.
- Mix the onion, ginger and garlic in a grinder.
- Blend the contents in the grinder for a paste with small quantity of water for a ground paste.
- Combine the ground paste, with the turmeric powder, red chilly powder, cumin seeds and curry leaves in a bowl.
- Keep aside the bowl contents.
- Throw the sweet corn pieces in the pressure cooker with sufficient water.
- Cook on high flame for 5 whistles in the pressure cooker on the gas.
- Thereafter, switch off the gas.
- Remove the pressure cooker from the gas.
- The pressure cooker should then be cooled.
- Drain excess water from the cooker.
- Set aside the boiled sweet corn.
- Take a pan and heat 1 tbsp of oil in the pan on the gas.
- Empty the bowl mixture in the pan.
- Fry the pan contents for some minutes while stirring at intervals.
- Now transfer the boiled sweet corn from the pressure cooker to the pan.
- Spoon the pan contents.
- Allow the spices to coat the sweet corn uniformly.
- Add salt to the pan contents.
- Stir the pan contents for few minutes to season the pan contents evenly with the added salt.
- Now splash some water in the pan.
- Bring the pan contents to a boil.
- Cook the pan contents for 5 minutes on high flame.
- Then get the pan off the gas.
- Pour the milk in the pan to thicken the gravy.
- Mix the pan contents for 1-2 minutes.
- The sweet corn gravy is now ready to be put on the table.
- This thick sweet corn gravy goes well with rotis / chapatis.
- Boil the milk in a pan on the gas. Then remove the pan from the gas. Cool the milk off the gas. The cooled milk should then be added to the sweet corn dish.
- Coconut milk or cream can also be poured instead of the milk and stirred with the pan contents for the desired consistency.
- When adding cream, whip the cream and then add with the pan contents for thick gravy consistency.