Thick Tofu Gravy for Chapati
Tofu is part of the vegan diet.
Vegan diet consists of non-animal foods, also excluding dairy products and eggs.
Tofu is considered healthy due to its rich protein content.
Also there are some people who are lactose-intolerant and cannot consume milk products as milk contains lactose.
Tofu is a good replacement for paneer / cottage cheese in dishes for such people.
Tofu can also be substituted for meat in dishes owing to its high protein content.
However tofu is bland and borrows flavors from the spices in which it is cooked.
Hence tofu preparations can be loaded with spices for flavorful dishes.
Also chapatis can be partnered with tofu dishes for wholesome meals.
- Tofu : 8 Ounces
- Garam masala : ½ Tsp
- Cinnamon powder : ¼ Tsp
- Cayenne powder : ½ Tsp
- Paprika : ½ Tsp
- Water : ¼ Cup
- Sugar : ½ Tsp
- Oil : 2 Tsp
- Salt : ¾ Tsp or to taste
- Red onion : ½ Cup
- Tomato ( medium ) : 1 Nos.
- Garlic pods : 2-3 Nos.
- Ginger : 1 inch piece
- Coriander seeds : ½ Tsp
- Fennel seeds : ¼ Tsp
- Cumin seeds : ¼ Tsp
- Cloves : 1-2 Nos.
- Sunflower seeds : 1 Tbsp
- Poppy seeds : ½ Tsp
- Coconut milk : ½ Cup
- Knife the tofu into medium sized cubes. Wash the tofu cubes with cold running water. Drain excess water and set aside.
- Peel the ginger piece and garlic pods.
- Chop finely the red onion, tomatoes, peeled ginger and garlic.
- Clean with water and dry extra water.
- Heat a pan on the gas.
- Pour oil in the pan and heat the oil.
- Stir in the chopped onion in the pan.
- Sauté the pan contents for some minutes and let the onion become transparent.
- Drop the crushed ginger and garlic in the pan
- Also put the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, sunflower seeds, cloves and poppy seeds in the pan.
- Mix the pan contents for 1-2 minutes.
- Bring in the diced tomatoes to the pan and cook the pan contents for some minutes.
- The tomatoes should melt in the pan.
- Then turn off the heat.
- Allow the pan contents to cool.
- Transfer the pan contents to a blender and grind the mixture with the coconut milk.
- Ready the puree and let it stand on the counter.
- Take a pan on the gas and heat the pan.
- Add oil to the pan and let the oil be heated in the pan on medium flame.
- Drop the tofu cubes in the pan.
- Also throw the garam masala and cinnamon powder in the pan.
- Fry the pan contents for couple of minutes and allow the tofu cubes to become golden brown.
- Now splash the puree in the same pan.
- Splatter the water in the pan.
- Also add the paprika and cayenne powder to the pan.
- The sugar and salt can be sprinkled in the pan for seasoning of the pan contents.
- Spoon the pan contents for some minutes.
- Then keep the pan covered and simmer the pan contents on low flame for 15-20 minutes.
- The gravy should become thick in the pan.
- Stir and cook the pan contents until the desired consistency is reached.
- Then get the pan off the heat.
- Pour the thick tofu gravy in a wide serving bowl.
- Keep on the table with hot chapatis.