Simple Tomato Curry for Chapati
Tomato curry is a basic dish and can be prepared in a matter of minutes.
Nominal ingredients are used to make the simple tomato curry side dish.
Mustard seeds are crackled in hot oil in a pan on the gas to give the seasoning to the curry.
Curry leaves are also dropped for added taste.
Onion is sautéed and browned in the pan.
Tomatoes are cooked and melted in the pan.
Spices such as coriander powder and red chilly powder and sprinkled in the pan for flavoring of the curry.
Water is poured in the pan to prepare the curry.
The tomato curry tastes best when it is thick so simmer the pan contents on low flame and allow the curry to condense.
Thick tomato curry and hot chapatis are perfect accompaniments for a satiating meal.
- Tomato ( big ) : 1 Nos.
- Onion ( big ) : 1 Nos.
- Mustard seeds : 1 Tsp
- Coriander powder : 1 Tsp
- Red chilly powder : 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder : ¼ Tsp
- Coriander leaves : 4-5 stalks
- Oil : 2 Tsp
- Curry leaves : 1 stalk
- Salt : to taste
- Knife the onion, tomatoes and coriander leaves.
- Wash the chopped ingredients with cold running water and strain the water and then keep aside.
- Put a pan on the gas.
- Splatter oil in the pan.
- Let the oil become hot.
- Then temper the mustard seeds in the pan on medium flame.
- Stir the pan contents for few minutes.
- The mustard seeds should crackle in the pan.
- Now add the curry leaves to the pan.
- Also bring in the chopped onion to the pan.
- Sauté the pan contents for some minutes.
- The onion should become golden brown.
- Stir in the tomato pieces in the pan.
- Mix the pan contents for couple of minutes.
- The tomatoes should become soft and mushy.
- Shower the red chilly powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder on the pan contents.
- Toss the pan contents and let the spice flavors be absorbed by the pan contents.
- Splash 1 cup of water in the pan.
- Spray salt on the pan contents.
- Steam the pan contents on low flame.
- Stir the pan contents every some minutes.
- The quantity of the pan contents should condense.
- The pan contents should also have thick consistency.
- Then the gas flame can be turned off.
- Put the pan on the counter.
- Transfer the pan contents to a wide bowl.
- Place the minced coriander leaves on top of the bowl contents to garnish the tomato curry.
- Serve on the table.
- Also put hot chapatis with the tomato curry.
- To further spice the dish, green chillies can be slit and cut and added while spooning in the tomatoes in the pan.
- Seasoning ingredients such as cumin seeds, urad dal and chana dal can also be sizzled in the pan for additional tempering of the tomato curry. They can be added when the mustard seeds crackle and sautéed in the hot oil in the pan until the dals change to a darker color.
- Shredded coconut can also be stirred with the pan contents for extra flavor. They can be added after the tomatoes are cooked and melted in the pan. The quantity of the shredded coconut can be 1 tablespoon.
- If thin consistency of the curry is preferred then add more water to the pan and boil for few minutes on medium flame and then serve.