Tomato Kurma Side Dish for Chapati
Tomato Kurma side dish can be doled out with warm chapatis.
For tomato kurma preparation, the seasoning spices are tempered in the wok.
The onion is slightly browned in the wok.
Ginger-garlic paste is sautéed for extra flavor.
Tomatoes, the main ingredient for the kurma are also cooked with the wok contents.
Additional spice powders such as red chilly powder are added in the pan.
Turmeric powder is put for rich color.
Ground paste consisting of shredded coconut, green chillies, fennel seeds and poppy seeds are also decanted in the wok for additional savoring of the kurma dish.
Water is required in the wok for the gravy of the kurma.
Lastly, allow the gravy to be as thick as required by placing the wok on low heat and spooning at intervals of few minutes.
The tomato kurma should be served on the table immediately after its preparation as it should be enjoyed when it is hot and steaming.
- Tomato : 3 Nos.
- Onion ( large ) : 1 Nos.
- Ginger-garlic paste : ½ Tsp
- Red chilly powder : ¼ Tsp
- Turmeric powder : ¼ Tsp
- Cinnamon : ½ inch piece
- Cloves : 2 Nos.
- Bay leaf : 1 Nos.
- Cooking oil : 1 Tbsp
- Curry leaves : 1 twig
- Shredded coconut : ¼ Cup
- Green chilly : 3 Nos.
- Poppy seeds : ½ Tsp
- Fennel seeds : ½ Tsp
- Finely chop the onion and tomatoes.
- Wash the diced contents with cold running water, drain excess water and keep aside.
- Chop the green chillies, rinse the chopped chillies with water and dry extra water.
- Mix the green chilly pieces, shredded coconut, fennel seeds and poppy seeds in a grinder.
- Add small quantity of water in the grinder.
- Blend the combined ingredients in the grinder for a smooth paste and set aside.
- Take a wok and heat on the gas.
- Throw cooking oil in the wok and heat the oil in the wok.
- The spices including the bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon stick should be added to the wok.
- Also drop the curry leaves in the wok.
- Stir the wok contents and let them crackle in the wok.
- Mix in the diced onion in the wok and fry for some minutes.
- The onion should become light brown.
- Now pour the ginger-garlic paste in the wok.
- Sauté the wok contents for couple of minutes until the paste is fried.
- Sprinkle red chilly powder and turmeric powder on the wok contents.
- Also add salt to the wok contents.
- Spoon the wok contents and let the spices cover the wok contents evenly.
- Transfer the minced tomatoes to the wok.
- Lid the wok and simmer the wok contents on low medium flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Toss the wok contents at intervals.
- The tomatoes should become mushy in the wok.
- Empty the ground paste in the wok.
- Mix the ground paste with the wok contents for 3-4 minutes.
- Also splash 1 cup of water in the wok.
- Now bring the wok contents to a boil.
- Then lower the gas flame and cook the wok contents on low flame.
- Keep mixing the wok contents every some minutes.
- Cook the wok contents until the gravy becomes thick in the wok.
- When the gravy is thick or the desired consistency is reached, the gas can be switched off.
- The pan should be got off the gas.
- Put the tomato kurma dish in a large serving bowl.
- This delectable preparation can be consumed with warm rotis / chapatis.