Zesty Tomato Onion Sabzi for Chapati
The tomato onion sabzi is a basic fare prepared with minimal ingredients.
Also the spices are restricted, only red chilly powder is sprinkled in the dish.
However even then the dish with its limited ingredients is zesty for the tastebuds.
Peanuts are added to give the dish its nutty flavor.
Sugar is dissolved with the pan contents to balance the spicy level of the dish.
The tomato onion sabzi can also be spread on pizza bread and topped with cheese and capsicum and cooked with the lid in a flat pan on the gas on low flame for pizza dishes.
Chapatis are also eaten with onion-tomato sabzi for a filling meal.
- Onion ( medium ) : 4 Nos.
- Tomato ( medium ) : 4 Nos.
- Cumin seeds : 1 Tsp
- Mustard seeds : 1 Tsp
- Red chilly powder : 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric powder : ½ Tsp
- Peanuts : handful
- Hing : ¼ Tsp
- Sugar : 3-4 Tsp
- Oil : 2 Tbsp
- Ghee : 1 Tsp
- Coriander leaves : few
- Salt : to taste
- Dice the onion and tomatoes.
- Chop the coriander leaves.
- Place away the chopped vegetables after washing with water and drying the excess water.
- Dry roast the peanuts in a pan on medium flame for some minutes. Stir the pan contents continually. Then bring the pan off the gas and cool the roasted peanuts. Thereafter, grind the roasted peanuts in a blender for roasted peanut powder.
- Splatter oil in a pan on the gas.
- Allow the oil to become hot on the gas.
- Throw the mustard seeds and cumin seeds in the heated oil in the pan and sizzle the pan contents for few minutes.
- Now mix in the minced onion in the pan.
- Also put the turmeric powder on the pan contents.
- Add the hing to the pan.
- Sauté the pan contents for couple of minutes and fry the onion until they are lightly browned.
- Stir in the tomato pieces in the pan and cook with the pan contents.
- Soften the tomatoes and let them become mushy.
- Sprinkle red chilly powder in the pan.
- For the seasoning, salt in required quantities can be mixed with the pan contents.
- Dissolve the sugar in the pan also.
- Cover the pan and cook the pan contents for some minutes on low heat.
- The pan contents should mix with each other.
- Spoon the pan contents at regular intervals.
- The tomatoes should melt and infuse with the spices.
- If required, splash small quantity of water in the pan.
- Then pour ghee in the pan.
- Empty the roasted peanut powder in the pan.
- Stir the pan contents for 3-4 minutes.
- Then bring the pan on the counter from the gas.
- The gas flame can be switched off.
- The pan contents can be emptied in a serving dish.
- Place the coriander leaves on the top of the bowl contents to decorate the bowl contents.
- The bowl is now ready to be served on the table.
- The tomato onion sabzi dish should be partnered with warm chapatis.
- Instead of roasting and grinding the peanuts, the peanuts can also only be crushed and stirred with the pan contents.
- Almonds and cashew nuts can also be pressed and added along with the crushed peanuts.
- Curry leaves can also be dropped in the pan when putting the onion. However this step is optional and only if further seasoning is desired.