Tangy Vendakkai Gravy for Chapati
Vendakkai is also known as Lady finger / Okra.
The vendakkai can be served in tangy tamarind gravy.
For making this dish, the chopped vendakkai is sautéed in gingelly oil.
Then the fried vendekkai is stirred with ground paste consisting of shredded coconut, red chillies and an array of different ingredients.
Tamarind juice is splashed in the pan for the gravy.
The pan contents are then steamed for the Vendakkai Gravy Side dish.
- Vendakkai / Lady finger / Okra : ¼ kg
- Onion : ¼ Cup
- Mustard seeds : ¼ Tsp
- Tamarind : 1 small ball
- Curry leaves : 1 twig
- Gingelly oil : 4 Tbsp
- Salt : to taste
- Onion : ½ Cup
- Tomato : ½ Cup
- Garlic pods : 3-4 Nos.
- Red chilly : 3-4 Nos.
- Urad dal : 1 Tsp
- Chana dal : 1 Tsp
- Coriander seeds : ½ Tsp
- Cumin seeds : ½ Tsp
- Coriander powder : 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder : ¼ Tsp
- Shredded coconut : 3 Tbsp
- Curry leaves : handful
- Coriander leaves : 2 sprigs
- Oil : 2 Tbsp
- Salt : to taste
- Knife the head and tail of the lady finger. Then chop the lady finger into 1 inch pieces lengthwise. Wash with cold water and drain excess water. Keep aside the cleaned lady finger.
- Place the tamarind ball in warm water for 10 minutes. Strain the solution and reserve the tamarind juice.
- Peel the garlic pods.
- Chop the onion, tomato, coriander leaves and skinned garlic pods.
- Wash the ingredients with water, dry extra water and set aside.
- Pour oil in a pan.
- Add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies, urad dal and chana dal to the heated oil in the pan.
- Let them crackle and then drop the curry leaves in the pan.
- Also put the chopped onion and garlic in the pan.
- Sauté the pan contents and let the onion become translucent.
- Bring in the diced tomatoes to the pan.
- Mix the pan contents for some minutes and let the tomatoes melt in the pan.
- Sprinkle coriander powder and turmeric powder on the pan contents.
- Also throw the coriander leaves in the pan.
- Fry the pan contents for 2-3 minutes.
- Then stir in the shredded coconut in the pan.
- Add salt to the pan contents for the seasoning.
- Toss the pan contents for few minutes.
- Then get the pan off the gas.
- Allow the pan contents to cool.
- Thereafter, blend the pan contents in a grinder using some water for a ground paste.
- Set aside the prepared paste till usage.
- Heat a pan on the gas.
- Splash the gingelly oil in the hot pan.
- Splutter the mustard seeds in the heated oil in the pan.
- Now sauté the diced onion and curry leaves in the pan.
- The onion should be light browned.
- Now fry the lady finger pieces in the pan for some minutes on medium flame.
- Stir the pan contents at intervals.
- When the lady finger is tender and cooked then splatter 1.5 cup of water in the pan.
- Boil the pan contents.
- Empty the tamarind juice in the pan.
- Add salt if required in the pan.
- Steam the pan contents for couple of minutes and let the oil separate in the pan.
- Then the gas flame can be turned off.
- Transfer the pan contents to a large bowl.
- Serve on the table and accompany with chapatis.