Dry Sabzi with Chapati
Sabzi is usually cooked with an array of vegetables.
Vegetables can include potatoes, green peas, beans, carrot, onion, tomato, cabbage to name a few.
Sabzi can also be prepared by steaming a single vegetable.
An assortment of vegetables however adds more variety and nutrition to the dish.
Spice powders are stirred with the vegetables and a range of dishes are prepared.
The amount of spices added to the dishes can be increased or reduced according to preferences.
Water is added to the pan in modest quantities.
The vegetables are dry cooked in sabzi dish.
They are usually accompanied with Chapati dishes.
Seasoning ingredients such as cumin seeds and mustard seeds can be tempered in the pan.
Then the tomatoes and spices are thrown in the pan.
When the tomatoes are melted in the pan then the diced vegetables are mixed in the pan and spooned with the spices.
Small quantity of water is poured in the pan to soften the vegetables.
Then the ready vegetable side dish can be enjoyed.
Let us look at how dry vegetables dishes are prepared.
Sabzi ( Dry )
- Tomato : 1 Nos.
- Cauliflower florets : 4-5 Nos.
- Carrot : 1 Nos.
- Beetroot : ½ Nos.
- Green peas : 1/4 Cup
- Beans : 8-10 Nos.
- Cumin seeds : ¼ Tsp
- Fenugreek powder : 2 Tsp
- Red chilly powder : 1 Tsp
- Garam masala : ¼ Tsp
- Turmeric Powder : 1 pinch
- Oil : 1 Tsp
- Knife the tomato, cauliflower florets, carrot, beetroot and beans.
- Rinse the chopped vegetables with water and keep aside.
- Pour oil in a pan and heat the pan on the gas.
- Splutter the cumin seeds in the hot oil.
- Allow the cumin seeds to splutter in the pan.
- Then bring in the tomato pieces to the pan.
- Mix and cook the pan contents for some minutes.
- The tomatoes should melt in the pan.
- Now sprinkle red chilly powder, garam masala and turmeric powder on the pan contents.
- Season the pan contents with salt.
- Stir the pan contents for couple of minutes.
- Allow the spice powders to release the flavors in the pan.
- Toss in the diced cauliflower florets, minced carrot, green peas, chopped beetroot and knifed beans.
- Spoon the pan contents and let the vegetables absorb the spices.
- Also throw the fenugreek powder in the pan.
- Mix the pan contents for couple of minutes.
- Splash 2 teaspoon of water in the pan.
- Lid the pan.
- Cook the pan contents on low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir the pan contents at intervals.
- Let the vegetables become tender.
- Add more water to the pan if required.
- Thereafter, switch off the gas.
- Remove the pan from the gas.
- Transfer the pan contents to a serving bowl.
- Accompany the dry ready sabzi with Chapati.
- The vegetables can also be cooked in onion-tomato mixture.
- Ginger-garlic paste can also be fried in the pan.
- The onion can be chopped into small pieces.
- After washing the onion with water and draining the excess water, the diced onion can be added to the pan when the cumin seeds crackle.
- The pan contents should be stirred for some minutes and the onion should become golden brown.
- Then the ginger-garlic paste is emptied in the pan and sautéed for some minutes.
- The tomato pieces and spice powders can now be added to the pan.
- The vegetables are then spooned with the pan contents and spiced with the different flavors.
- Finally, water in small quantities is splashed in the pan and the vegetables are cooked until they are tender.