Zesty Lady Finger Sabzi for Chapati
Lady finger is also known as Okra or Bhindi.
They are low in calories and also nutritious.
This side dish is dry and can be accompanied with chapati.
The okra can also be rolled in a chapati and then consumed.
When preparing this dish, the sliced onions are sautéed with green chillies and cumin seeds in heated oil in a wok and then set aside.
Then the okra pieces are fried in the wok.
Sugar and spices are then added to the wok.
Lastly, the sautéed ingredients are added and spooned with the other ingredients.
- Lady finger / Okra / Bhindi : 250 g
- Onion ( medium ) : 2 Nos.
- Green chilly : 2 Nos.
- Cumin seeds : ½ Tsp
- Red chilly powder : ¾ Tsp
- Mango powder : ½ Tsp
- Garam masala : ¼ Tsp
- Coriander leaves : 2 Tbsp
- Sugar : ½ Tsp
- Oil : ¾ Tbsp
- Salt : to taste
- Rinse the lady finger with cold running water. Pat dry with towel / cloth. Ensure they are completely dry so they cook easily and do not become soggy. Remove the head and tail of the lady finger. Chop into 1-1.5 inch pieces lengthwise. Set aside the okra pieces.
- Knife the onion into slices and slit the green chillies.
- Take a wok and heat 1 tbsp of oil in the wok.
- Throw the cumin seeds in the hot oil in the wok.
- When they crackle then put the green chillies in the wok.
- Drop the torn coriander leaves also in the wok.
- Thereafter, sauté the onion slices in the wok and let them become brownish.
- Add salt in the wok.
- Mix the wok contents.
- Now remove the wok contents and set aside in a bowl.
- Take the same wok and heat 2-3 tbsp of oil in the wok on the gas.
- Bring in the diced okra to the wok.
- Fry the wok contents on medium high flame for couple of minutes.
- Stir the wok contents every couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle the sugar on the wok contents.
- Lower the gas flame and steam the wok contents for 7-8 minutes until the okra is tender and cooked.
- Spoon the wok contents at intervals.
- Sugar helps to balance the spices in the dish. Also the green color of the okra is maintained when sugar is added.
- When the okra is soft and shrunk in size then the spice powders including the red chilly powder, mango powder and garam masala can be added to the wok contents.
- Also throw salt as required on the wok contents
- Now transfer the bowl contents to the wok.
- Stir the wok contents for few minutes.
- Get the wok off the gas.
- Pour the wok contents in a large dish.
- Relish with roti / chapati.
- The okra should be fully dry before they are fried in the pan. The okra will then shrink in size and become crunchy.
- Ground black pepper can be added instead of the red chilly powder in the dish.
- Shallots can also be used in place of the onions. 12-15 small shallots can be utilized. They can be immersed in water for some minutes and then peeled and sliced.
- Okra can also be sautéed in oil in the microwave. Place the okra pieces in a bowl with 1 tbsp of oil. Microwave the bowl contents on high power for 6 minutes. Stir the bowl contents every 2 minutes. Lesser quantity of oil is consumed with this method. They can then be added to the wok and the rest of the process can be followed.