Gravy is the juices/thick liquid or sauce which you usually get on its own while preparing your dish. If needed, you can thicken the consistency by adding corn flour or any other flour starch. This gives a nice texture and a glossy effect to your dish.
Mushroom Gravy is not that, a difficult dish to prepare. With a few herbs and spices a delicious dish is ready to be served. You can partner this mushroom gravy dish either Indian style with steamed rice or hot ghee chapatis and boiled vegetables as side dish. Or if you serve it with garlic bread or French bread and mashed potatoes it becomes a continental dish on your menu.
Following is the step by step recipe I like to share. It is simple and ingredients are easily available.
- Mushrooms – washed ,wiped and minced : 10 medium/large sized
- Oil (preferably olive oil) : 2 tablespoon
- Onion- finely chopped : 1 medium size
- Garlic crushed : 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper : 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Thyme-dried : ¼ heaped teaspoon
- Sage- dried : ¼ heaped teaspoon
- Soy sauce : according to taste(optional)
- Cornstarch : 2 tablespoon
- Vegetable stock : 3-4 cups
- Salt : 1 teaspoon
Step 1: On a medium flame place a pan and coat it with oil. Wait for about 2-3 minutes till the oil gets hot.
Step 2: First throw in the onions and the dried herbs. Let these contents cook for at least 5 minutes or till the onions turn a nice pink colour and soft.
Step 3: Add the garlic and stirring occasionally till the garlic mixes well with the onion contents.
Step 4: Once you get the aroma of the garlic, stir in the mushrooms with salt. Mix well all the ingredients in the pan. And cover the pan. Let this cook for 10 minutes on medium flame. Stir these ingredients occasionally. Keep stirring till you see the juices leaving the mushrooms.
Step 5: During the cooking time of the mushrooms, in bowl make the corn starch. This is done by mixing water to corn flour. In this recipe instead of water you can use the vegetable stock about a cup and make the corn starch. Mix well till you get a smooth texture. Make sure there should be no lumps.
Step 6: Now pour in the remaining vegetable stock to the mushroom contents. Let it boil without the lid of the pan. Once it comes to its boiling point lower the flame.
Step 7: Then slowly drizzle in the corn starch and keep stirring simultaneously.
Step 8: Keep stirring in this mixture for 10 minutes. Once the sauce or gravy is thickened and you see a nice shiny layer on top you can add the soy sauce and black pepper.
Step 9: Switch off gas and dish this out hot and serve with the accompaniments.
- Note :-
- You now days get various kinds of European or western herbs in India as well. You can substitute the herbs with oregano or mix herbs which are more easily available in any store.
- Also instead of corn flour you can use wheat flour which is a healthier option.
- If you are a meat eater you can substitute the vegetable stock with chicken stock. You can even add chicken or lamb to this dish.
- This dish can be stored in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days in an air tight container. And can be had later.