Spinach Curry Side Dish for Chapati
Spinach curry accompanied with chapatis make for a healthy and satiating meal.
Spinach belongs to the family of green vegetables and rates high on nutrition.
The spinach curry can be prepared by blanching the spinach leaves in a pan on the gas or in a microwave.
The thymol seeds are tempered in a pan on the gas flame in heated oil.
Chopped onion, ginger and garlic cloves are fried in the pan to lend additional taste to the dish.
Green chillies raise the spice score of the dish.
The blanced spinach leaves along with the spice powders including coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala are mixed in the pan.
Turmeric powder gives the color to the curry.
The Spinach Curry is an excellent side dish for chapatis.
Serve on the table right off the gas.
- Spinach leaves : 2 Cup
- Onion : ½ Cup
- Garlic pods : 1 Tsp
- Ginger : 1 Tsp
- Green chilly : 1-2 Nos.
- Thymol seeds : ½ Tsp
- Cumin powder : ½ Tsp
- Coriander powder : ½ Tsp
- Garam masala : ½ Tsp
- Turmeric powder : ½ Tsp
- Oil : 1 Tsp
- Salt : to taste
- Chop the spinach leaves.
- Remove the skin of the ginger and garlic pods.
- Knife the onion, green chillies, peeled ginger and garlic.
- Clean the diced vegetables with cold running water and set aside after draining the extra water.
- Take a pan on the gas and pour 2 cups of water in the pan. The water should be allowed to boil in the pan. Then the torn spinach leaves should be added to the pan. Boil the pan contents for 5-7 minutes or until the spinach is properly cooked. Mix the pan contents at intervals. The cooked spinach can be kept aside.
- Take a pan on the gas and splash oil in the pan.
- Drop the thymol seeds in the hot oil in the pan.
- Mix the pan contents and let the seeds crackle in the pan.
- Then sauté the knifed onion, pressed garlic, crushed ginger and green chilly pieces in the pan.
- Spoon the pan contents for some minutes and let the onion become transparent while in the pan.
- Then bring in the cooked spinach to the pan.
- Stir the pan contents.
- Throw the spice powders which are the cumin powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala in the pan.
- Toss the pan contents and let the pan contents be cooked and mixed thoroughly.
- The spices should cover the cooked spinach leaves.
- The oil should also separate in the pan.
- Then bring the pan off the gas after switching off the gas.
- Transfer the prepared spinach curry to a serving dish.
- The curry can be put on the table with hot rotis / chapatis.
- The chopped spinach leaves can also be blanched in the microwave. Adequate water should be added in a microwavable bowl along with the chopped spinach. The bowl contents can be cooked in the microwave for 7-8 minutes or until the spinach is boiled and ready to be cooked.
- Additional ingredients such as tomato and boiled potato can also be added to lend extra flavor to the curry.
- Yogurt can also be added make the dish more wholeseome.
- Another variation can be where corn flour is mixed with water and poured in the pan when dropping the spinach leaves in the pan. This helps to adjust the consistency of the curry dish.